The deregulation of the Texas electricity market allows companies other than your local utility compete for your business. Here's what you need to know about electricity deregulation:
- Electricity deregulation in Texas became official on January 1, 2002.
- Under deregulation, you can opt to purchase your electricity service from a Retail Electricity Provider (REP) that sources your electricity and sends you your bill.
- Here on ElectricityTexas, you can compare offers from all of the top companies in Texas on just one page.
- If you choose a new provider, your power is still transferred over the same power lines from the local utility. All that really changes is your electricity rate, your customer service and your bill.
- Deregulation is under affect in most areas of Texas, but there are still some pockets that do not have the power to choose their own providers yet.
- REPs compete on price, service and the ability to provide alternative services such as renewable energy.
- Texas deregulation promotes competition among REPs, which in turn, spurs competitive pricing.
- Since the introduction of deregulated electricity in Texas, many new providers have entered the market, giving you many options.
- The Texas Public Utilities Commission continues to monitor and regulate the delivery of electricity to ensure all consumers are protected.
- Many REPs offer promotions and loyalty plans that can help you save even more on your electricity bill.
- There are providers that offer 100% renewable energy products that can help you reduce your carbon footprint while you save.
Enter your address now to discover what options are available in your area.